I would like to introduce you to the newest member of our family. She's cute, isn't she? This is Eliza Hope
I went to the hospital with few pains, fully expecting to return home by afternoon after getting reassurance from my doctor that my pains were nothing more than "cranky lady pregnant with 6th child complaints". Well, that is not what happened. After blood tests, urine tests, and an ultrasound, I was informed that I was contracting, the baby had fluid on her tummy and would had some facial bone missing from her face. In addition, I may be in preterm labor and the baby's health was more or less a question mark. What?! My 20 week ultrasound was just 10 weeks ago. We received nothing by glowing news on it.
Now, the other news. I was told they were moving me to a hospital with a level 3 NICU for the possible early delivery of our little one. They were moving me immediately. As in, getting me on a helicopter and flying me there in 20 minutes.
My brain froze and the tears flowed. After making calls to my husband and one of my sisters, our kids at home were covered. My husband & my mother were in route to new hospital. Brain is still frozen though.
Now, the next two days are whirlwind. Tests.Tests.Tests. Stopping contractions. Getting babys' heartbeat stable. By Sunday, I was still a nervous wreck, but, confident we would be able to stay at the hospital a few weeks, and deliver our new bundle of joy at possibly 32-34 weeks. Nope.
Now, if you have been in a hospital and had your doctor arrive to see you at 130am.. you know,.it's something serious. Well, mine did. Serious, it was.
I was told to get my husband there for a 730am ultrasound on Monday morning. After more tears, more calls to my husband and another sister...we were ready. At least, so, we liked to believe.
After that ultrasound on Monday. We were headed into surgery. Now, without getting too much involved in my female reproductive system, basically, I was told my body was done. Sixth child, 5th c-section. I was told early delivery was more for my safety, than the baby. I would never be able to carry her full term. The results could of been tragic for me and my daughter.
Our beautiful daughter was delivered safely on Monday morning at 30 week. She has several hurdles to overcome. None bigger than the other news we received about her after testing was done that weekend. We received the big 2 punch. First punch..your daughter is a 30 week preemie. This is challenge all by itself. Second punch...your daughter has down syndrome.
I am still trying to process a boat load of emotions.
The good news is that she is in one of the best Level 3 NICU units in the Midwest. She has remained stable and we are hoping to have her home by the end of summer.
I am home recovering and enjoying my crazy 5 pack that I missed so incredibly while at the hospital this week.
Now, we are just working on getting Eliza big, healthy, strong and home.
I will be keeping this page update with any news or pictures, so, please stop back in.
Erin

Erin,
ReplyDeleteYou and your family are in my prayers. Let me know if there is anything I can help you with.
Love & prayers,
Renee
Erin:
ReplyDeleteWhat a strong woman you are. I sit crying at my desk thankful for your health and for Eliza. You will continue in my thoughts and prayers - if you need anything, please don't hesitate to reach out to me.
Love and hugs - Kris Johnson
Thank you Kris and Renee! We appreciate the kind words and prayers :)
ReplyDelete